Atik 383L+ Mono CCD camera
The new Atik 383L+ is an 8 megapixel camera using the Kodak KAF-8300 CCD. Over the last few months a huge amount has been written about this CCD justifying its place in astronomers' hearts. We can sum it up succinctly by saying it's a fabulous CCD with a huge number of good sized pixels that is currently available at an irresistible price. This sensor has redefined midrange astro-imaging, making multi-megapixel, cooled cameras much more accessible. Atik prides itself on providing cameras with the very highest image quality but at a reasonable cost. We see no reason to change. We have built on the success of our very highly regarded Atik 314 platform to support Kodak's KAF-8300. This immediately offers a huge number of advantages including the very low read-noise circuits and the reliability of using this established design.
The key to any high quality camera is the ability to convert light collected by the sensor into digital information while ensuring that as little noise as possible is added. The digital image needs to truly reflects the light collected. The Atik 383L+ achieves this, having:
- Very low read-noise, 7 electrons, on par with many Sony sensors, enabling faint details to be detected.
- Great linearity, with a regression correlation coefficient of R =0.9998 over the range 1,000 to 64,000, making the camera suitable for sensitive photometric measurements.
- The bias frame histogram from the camera shows the ideal Gaussian shape indicating that maximum detail can be extracted on processing.
- The side of the Atik 383L+ showing the cooling vents of the cross-flow heat-sink that allows a T = -40 C max cooling to be achieved.
The Atik 383L+ is a dream combination of low- noise electronics and a scientific grade sensor that we are able to offer at a fantastic price. Whether you are an established imager or just starting, the Atik 383L+ is a great choice.
8.3 Million 5.4μm square pixels for
high resolution imaging.
• Ultra low read noise for great
• Lightweight - no flexure of the
telescope focuser tube.
• Highly efficient set point cooling to
40 degrees max below ambient.
• Great software for image
acquisition and pre-processing.
Binning Resolution Pixel Size (μm) Normal (Sec) Preview (Sec)
1x1 3326x2504 5.4 10.5 6
2x2 1663x1252 10.8 4.1 2.5
3x3 1108x834 16.2 2.6 1.6
4x4 831x626 21.6 1.9 1.1
1x1 100x100 5.4 0.69 0.32
- Camera Type
- Camera Series