Lunt LS800MT/R&P Multipurpose APO Telescope OTA without Blocking Filter
This telescope can be combined with a Lunt blocking-filter as desired, such an additional blocking-filter is necessary for using the telescope
- Special telescope for observing the Sun in H-alpha
- Attention: Additional blocking filter required!
- Also for night sky observing, modular design
- 2-lens ED refractor FPL-53, 80mm aperture, 560mm focal length
- Observation and photography with very good image quality
- Bandwidth less than 0.7 Angstrom
- Solid R&P focuser with 10:1 reduction
- Also for Ca-K and White-Light solar observing
- Absolutely safe, no danger to the eyes
Modular designed multipurpose telescope, both for observing the sun in the H-alpha wavelength, as well as for night sky observations. Easy conversion between the different applications with a few simple steps. 2-lens ED Apo telescope with FPL-53 glass, 80mm aperture and 560mm focal length - very good image quality for H-Alpha solar observation and also for observing the starry sky at night.
With innovative air pressure tuning system and good 2 inch (50.8mm) R&P focuser. Delivered without blocking filter, use for H-Alpha sun observation only possible with additional blocking filter!
This telescope is supplied without blocking filter. We offer a wide range of additionally available blocking filters in different sizes, either mounted in a 90° star-diagonal housing or in a straight extension tube. These are all usable with this telescope.
ATTENTION: Without such an additional blocking filter you cannot use this telescope for H-alpha solar observation!
Solar observing in H-alpha
The Lunt LS80MT is a telescope for observing the sun in H-alpha light, with 80mm free aperture (no central obstruction) and 560mm focal length. The H-alpha wavelength is the most impressive way to observe the sun, showing protuberances at the sun's edge, filaments and flares on the surface, and much more. An internal Etalon filter achieves a bandwidth of <0.7 Angstrom with the innovative air pressure tuning system Pressure-Tuner. Tuning is done by slightly changing the air pressure in a pressure chamber inside the telescope. This changes the refractive index of the air, making it easy to tune to the H-alpha line. The pressure tuner guarantees a homogeneous image, without central obstruction, and a permanently protected Etalon without erosion. A set of collimating lenses installed in the telescope ensures best performance.
Fine adjustment is achieved with a solid 2 inch R&P focuser with 10:1 reduction.
This version of the Lunt LS80MT is delivered without blocking filter. Therefore an additional blocking filter is required to use the telescope for solar observation in the H-alpha wavelength. You can choose from the wide range of Lunt Solar Systems blocking filters and decide for example if you want a blocking filter in a 90° star-diagonal housing or one in a straight extension tube.
Observing the starry night sky
The H-Alpha Etalon system can be removed from the telescope in a few easy steps thanks to its modular design. With the additionally available conversion kit (item number 0551330) the 2-lens ED Apo refractor can then be used as a normal telescope with 80mm aperture and 560mm focal length for observation and photography of the night sky. The FPL-53 doublet lens offers an low colour aberration image. Common 2 inch star diagonals can be used at the high quality R&P focuser of the conversion kit 0551330.
Please note that the optionally available conversion kit 0551330 is absolutely necessary if the telescope should be used at night.
With additionally available accessories the Lunt LS80MT offers even more possibilities!
The Lunt LS80MT telescope can optionally be upgraded with the additionally available double-stack module DSII/SFPT (item number 0551395). The DSII system is a internal double-stack module. Thereby a bandwidth of <0.5 Angstrom is achieved for H-alpha solar observation. Therefore much more details on the solar surface will become visible.
- Solar observing in White-Light
If the H-alpha unit has been removed, of course either a sun filter to be installed in front of the objective, or a Herschel-wedge at the focuser can be used to observe the sunspots in White-Light.
- Solar observing in Ca-K wavelength
Certainly, the Ca-K filter modules from Lunt Solar Systems can also be used at the Lunt LS80MT to observe and photograph super-granulation and other effects visible in this wavelength on the sun.
This makes the Lunt LS80MT a completely universal usable ED Apo telescope of very good quality!
- 2-lens ED APO refractor, FPL-53
- Aperture: 80mm (no central obstruction)
- Focal length: 560mm
- Bandwidth: internal Etalon with <0.7 Angstrom
- Tuning: air pressure tuning system Pressure-Tuner
- Supplied without blocking filter, additionally available blocking filter absolutely necessary!
- Focuser: R&P with 10:1 reduction
- Two tube-ring with handle
- Sol-Searcher installed inside handle
- Dovetail bar at GP-level for astronomical mounts
- Weight: 4.95kg
- Length with blocking filter and dew-shield: 62cm
- Length without blocking filter and removed dew-shield: 50cm
Scope of Delivery
- LS80MT Multipurpose Telescope
- 2 inch R&P focuser with 10:1 reduction
- Tube rings with dovetail bar and sol-searcher
- Transport case (78x33x23cm)
- Instruction manual
Conversion kit for observation of the starry night sky (0551330) not included!
|Field of application|
|Field of application||Solar observation|
|Optical design||Apochomatic Refractor|
|Mirror/Lens diam.||80 mm|
|Focal length||560 mm|
|Angular resolution||1.7 arc seconds|
|Full width at half maximum (Angström), less then||0.7|
|General Technical Data|
|Focusing system||2" Rack-and-Pinion Focuser with 10:1 reduction|
|Mount Type||Optics without Mount|
|Extended warranty||5 years|
|Dimensions and Weights|
|Total length||78 cm|
|Total width||33 cm|
|Total height||23 cm|
- Telescope System
- Optical Tube Only (OTA)
- Telescope type
- Apochromatic Refractor
- Telescope Series
- Multipurpose Telescope (MT)
- Telescope Lens type
- Doublet (2 lenses)
- Telescope Aperture (mm)
- Telescope Focal Length (mm)
- Telescope Focal Ratio (F)